1H 2017 Quick Links, Part 8 (Trump, Immigration)
[Note: I very rarely blog about general politics, and I promise that won’t change. However, times are not normal. We have elected a president who lies for sport. takes more hypocritical positions in a week than most of us will take in a lifetime, has countless conflicts-of-interest we don’t fully understand, and is protected by enablers in Congress. So here’s a sampling of some of the shenanigans from the past half-year.]
* Politico: ‘He Has This Deep Fear That He Is Not a Legitimate President.’ A seemingly well-grounded fear IMO.
* NY Times: White House Pushes ‘Alternative Facts.’ Here Are the Real Ones.
* NY Times: 10 Times Trump Spread Fake News
* Politico: How Trump Left Hollywood in the Cold
* THR, ESQ: Donald Trump Escapes FEC Punishment Over Paid Actors at Presidential Announcement
* Slate: Donald Trump’s First Twitter Background as President Was a Photo From the Inauguration of Barack Obama
* Daily Beast: Trump’s WhiteHouse.Gov Disappears Civil Rights, Climate Change, LGBT Rights
* Vox: Trump’s real war isn’t with the media. It’s with facts.
* Fail Blog: The Funniest Protest Signs at the Trump Inauguration
* NY Times: Tech Opposition to Trump Propelled by Employees, Not Executives
* Baltimore Sun: Ordinary Americans carried out inhumane acts for Trump
* Washington Post: Melania Trump ‘has no intention’ of profiting from public position, representatives say
* Metro: Everyone’s mocking Trump mercilessly for his SEE YOU IN COURT tweet
* USA Today: White House posts wrong versions of Trump’s orders on its website
* ProPublica: Deleted Tweets From Donald J. Trump
* WSJ: Trump Administration Considers Change in Calculating U.S. Trade Deficit
* The Hill: Trump clarifies remarks on Sweden: I got it from Fox News story
* Washington Post: I didn’t think I’d ever leave the CIA. But because of Trump, I quit.
* Quartz: Trump’s disregard for the judicial system has accidentally made law school cool again. #TrumpBump!
* The Atlantic: I Was a Muslim in Trump’s White House
* NY Times: Trump Ruled the Tabloid Media. Washington Is a Different Story
* Reuters: Kuwait could pay up to $60,000 for party at Trump Hotel in Washington
* Huffington Post: The First 100 Lies: The Trump Team’s Flurry Of Falsehoods
* Bustle: 21 Sweden Incident Memes That Hilariously Shed Light On A Non-Existent Event
* Fail Blog: Twitter Roasts Kellyanne Conway For Making Up a Terrorist Attack “The Bowling Green Massacre” to Defend Muslim Ban As If We Don’t Have Google
* The Guardian: Muslims inside FBI describe culture of suspicion and fear: ‘It is cancer’
* The Intercept: Homeland Security Sees Anger at Trump as a Driver of “Domestic Terrorist Violence”
* Fortune: Trump’s Victory Has People Signing up For News Like It’s Going Out of Style. #TrumpBump!
* Cracked: Mar-a-Lago: When A Millionaire Bankrupts An Entire Town
* CNN: Trump tweets and the TV news stories behind them
* Wired: Trump Can’t Quit His Wiretap Claims. That Won’t End Well
* Oddee: 10 Regretful Trump Supporters
* Politico: How Trump gets his fake news
* Washington Post: Under Trump, inconvenient data is being sidelined
* Washington Post: Trump’s old tweets are becoming a minefield of hypocrisy
* Slate: Trump Isn’t the Only Politician Blocking Constituents on Twitter
* Forbes: “How Donald Trump Shifted Kids-Cancer Charity Money Into His Business”
* Vanity Fair: The Inside Story of the Kushner-Bannon Civil War
* CNN: Surrounded by lawyers, Trump back in familiar stance
* Washington Post: Obama’s secret struggle to punish Russia for Putin’s election assault
* The NY Times has “catalogued nearly every outright lie he has told publicly since taking the oath of office”
* Cracked: 7 Secret (And Stupid) Rules For Working For President Trump
* NBC News: Tracking President Trump’s Visits to Trump Properties
* Just Security: Timeline: Trump’s Acts of Appeasement/Accommodation to Russia
* NY Times: A veteran political reporter takes stock of how Washington has — and hasn’t — changed in the time of Trump.
* The Week: 43 stunned reactions to Donald Trump Jr.’s damning emails
* Slate: “Horror stories about the lawlessness of Customs and Border Protection agents in the aftermath of Trump’s immigration ban.” We need to reform the DHS/CBP from the bottom up, and those who disobeyed the court order need to be held accountable for their crimes.
* Wired: Trump’s Ban Isn’t Just Inhumane—It’ll Make America Dumber
* NY Times: He’s a Local Pillar in a Trump Town. Now He Could Be Deported.
* Huffington Post: This Is What Trump’s Immigration Crackdown Is Doing To School Kids
* The Guardian: Border Patrol may loosen lie-detector use in hiring to meet Trump’s jobs order (“about two-thirds of job applicants fail CBP’s polygraph”)
* Wired: Tech Had to Lash Out Against Trump’s Ban. It’s Personal
* Quartz: The only way to get into America is through this 60,000 strong, pro-Trump armed force
* Scientific American: Immigrants Do Not Increase Crime, Research Shows
* Slate: I tried to represent an undocumented man rounded up by ICE. I couldn’t even find him.
* Above the Law: The Day The Lawyer Jokes Died
* The Atlantic: “Passengers on a domestic flight deplaning in New York were asked to present ID by Customs and Border Protection agents—a likely unenforceable demand that nevertheless diminishes freedom.”
* BBC: “A Nigerian software engineer claims he was handed a written test by a US border officer at New York’s JFK airport to prove his tech credentials.”
* Wired: A Laptop Ban Leaves Everyone Scared and No One Safer. “nowhere in the world is airport security such an awkward blend of rigorous and seemingly arbitrary as in the United States.”
* Cracked: 5 Facts That Will Change How You Think Of Terrorism
* Wired: Trump’s Policies Are Sending Precious Startup Jobs to Canada
* Slate: Emails Reveal Customs and Border Protection’s Lawlessness During Trump’s First Travel Ban