Cynthia Moreno Guest Lecture to My Internet Law Course
By Eric Goldman
Cynthia works in Sacramento–about 2 hours from SCU–so in November 2012 I invited her to guest-lecture at my Internet Law course. I learned so much from the visit! Some of the more interesting details:
* she had deliberately set her MySpace account as “private,” meaning that only her friends (about 300 people) could see her post. That was not clear from the court opinion.
* she pursued multiple layers of administrative remedies before going to court. Her main goal was to redress the principal’s conduct, not to generate cash. She interviewed dozens of attorneys before finding one who would take her case. Her attorney wasn’t on contingency fee.
* she doesn’t regret her post.
* the incident has had continuing deleterious effects on her younger sister.
* she has taken a job as a television personality at Univision.
Some of the materials we generated in connection with her visit:
* Audio of her guest lecture (item #33)
* Her detailed PowerPoint slides
* Photos (the set)
[Email me if you want the higher-res versions of any photo].